Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Can I Have That On The Side, Please?

Geoff Trainor

A few days ago when I was searching for the new Billy Talent, I downloaded a song which was mis-labeled. When I played what I thought was Billy Talent, I found myself listening to Boxcar Racer's "I Feel So". This surprise was not completely unwanted, and I decided to open up my Boxcar Racer cd and take it with me to listen to in the car.

This inspired this week's list, which will revolve completely around side-projects. Obviously, there are going to be a ton of side-projects that I don't include, so don't feel too bad if your favourite didn't make it. In fact, a couple of the more obscure ones I wanted to include, I found impossible to find any online mp3s of. I suppose that is what makes them obscure. On to the list! Considering the number I left out, I may do a follow-up.

Mocking Music's Top 10 Side Projects

10) Boxcar Racer - Letters To God (MP3)
I wasn't going to include this one as I wasn't sure how well received it would be, but the fact remains that I really enjoy this band. They do everything right that Blink 182 had been doing wrong. Besides, it is only fair that they be included since they inspired the whole thing.

9) The 6ths - Rot in the Sun (MP3)
Stephin Merritt is a busy man. The 6ths are just one side project of sometimes solo, sometimes group effort Magnetic Fields frontman. In their debut, Wasps' Nests, each song is sung by a different member of the indie scene. Merritt sings on one track only, but remains the man behind the songwriting and composition of the album. This is the same idea Foo Fighter's frontman, Dave Grohl, used in his Probot album. I think this one is probably the better of the two.

8) Bloc Party - Two More Years (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)
Okay, we aren't talking about Bloc Party here. As Casey has mentioned before, MSTRKRFT is made up of Death From Above 1979's Jesse Keeler and his friend, Al Puodziukas. Their remixes are some of the best I've heard.

7) Desaparecidos - Man And Wife, The Former (Financial Planning) (MP3)
Former king of indie, Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes, fronts Desaparecidos. Oberst mixes his cynical outlook on society with upbeat songs. I really enjoy this band, and am looking forward to new material from Oberst.

6) MC Honky - My Bad Seed (MP3)
What happens if you mix Eels with a bit of electro-pop silliness? MC Honky or E's (the man that is the Eels) side project. The entire album makes for great party music, especially when you have a good set of speakers (I'm probably annoying the neighbors right now). Turn up the bass. I must thank Casey, as I probably would have never picked this up had he not told me about it.

5) Burquitlam Plaza - I Sang in Church (MP3)
Nick Krgovich of p:ano released a solo album under the moniker Burquitlam Plaza. Nick's haunting vocals are the focus of I Sang in Church, backed up with little piano. The result is a song that surpasses that of any I've heard from p:ano.

4) The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes (MP3)
The combined forces of Jack White and Brendan Benson make for an interesting album. In fact, from what I've heard, this is better than the White Stripes latest, Get Behind Me Satan. With the album being released in just over a week, I am started to get a little excited over The Raconteurs.

3) Loose Fur - The Ruling Class (MP3)
A live version of song had been on one of my previous lists under a different name. We made the mistake of thinking it had never made the album. The mistake was pointed out to us by several of our readers. Jeff Tweedy of Wilco has got some mad whistlin' skills, um...yo.

2) The Network - Money Money 2020 (MP3)
You know, I still don't know whether Green Day admit to this one yet. I'm sure it's fairly well known by now that the trio from Green Day as well as some support from Devo make up the members of this band. The electronic driven post-punk sound to the Network make for a fun break from the pop-punk anthems Green Day are known for.

1) Postal Service - This Place Is A Prison (MP3)
This was the obvious choice for the list, Death Cab For Cutie's Bed Gibbard joins forced with Dntel's Jimmy Tamborello for this synth-pop masterpiece. Amusingly, I own this album, but don't own any Death Cab, despite the fact that I like them a lot. I think one of my favourite things about this album is the Nintendo (or Nintendo-like) sampling used in one of the songs.

It seems the word based list I had started a few weeks back will never be finished. This list has already inspired a similar list, which is what I will be working on for next week. I'm sorry if I missed out on some great band in this list. Please, leave comments and tell me who you feel I missed. I might not know about them and you could help have them included in a follow-up.

Boxcar Racer - Letters To God
The 6ths - Rot in the Sun
Bloc Party - Two More Years (MSTRKRFT Remix)
Desaparecidos - Man And Wife, The Former (Financial Planning)
MC Honky - My Bad Seed
Burquitlam Plaza - I Sang In Church
The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes
Loose Fur - The Ruling Class
The Network - Money Money 2020
Postal Service - This Place is a Prison

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
Postal Service - Give Up
MC Honky - I Am The Mesiah
The Network - Money Money 2020

Songs In The Key Of M
This Is A Long Song For Someone With Nothing To Think About
Sunny Days...
Who Are You Calling A Narcissist?
Jesus, Mocking Music Loves You Too
Yes, But Is It Heart?
The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
No Pan Troglodyte Business Here
Everything Is Automatic

Comments on "Can I Have That On The Side, Please?"


Blogger James said ... (10/5/06 12:27 am) : 

I think you mean Jack White, not Jack Black.


Blogger Geoff Trainor said ... (10/5/06 12:53 am) : 

Oh you haven't heard? Jack Black is leaving Tenacious D and joining the Raconteurs. They are kicking out White to make room. The picture I used it the angry face off when White finds out.

(Man, I'm full of mistakes this week)


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/5/06 2:19 pm) : 



Blogger Station Agent said ... (11/5/06 11:31 am) : 

Dude, no Elected?

Just sayin'.


Anonymous s said ... (12/5/06 2:40 am) : 

for the MC Honky track - bless you!


Anonymous matthew said ... (15/5/06 6:18 pm) : 

Pretty much any of the Wolf Parade side projects -- Spencer Krug's Sunset Rubdown is the biggest (Jonathan can tell you about them, since he won their CDs from my site several months ago), but Dan Boeckner's Handsome Furs will have an album out on Sub Pop by the end of the year, and Arlen/Hadji/Dante's Johnny and the Moon are apparently shopping their debut around, too...


Blogger Geoff Trainor said ... (16/5/06 1:29 am) : 

Yeah, Jon wrote an article on SunsetRubdown for the site a while back. But, I mean, I've even heard the side project on CBC several times.


Anonymous The Last Comment Was Actually Casey said ... (16/5/06 1:30 am) : 

Damnit - it'll be nice having a computer again.


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (18/5/06 8:39 pm) : 

the postle seervice is my favorite band, and you really should buy Transatlanticism by death cab, which is arguably their best cd to date.

thx, my g-unit soulja


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 5:45 am) : 

They will miss the ro zeny and they will try their best to play this game to get the joy. As long as they earn the ragnarok zeny they will be happy and they think the game is very interesting. Of course they have to have a lot of iro zeny by themselves. Sure, that process of achieving will have its unpleasant and disagreeable aspects.I am lonely so I play the game and go to earn ragnarok online zeny to give my friends. They also give me a lot of cheap zeny while playing the game.


Blogger Zheng junxai5 said ... (14/4/16 11:07 pm) : 

coach outlet
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet
coach outlet store online
gucci outlet
nike uk
true religion jeans
beats by dre outlet
vans sneakers
hollister clothing
polo ralph lauren outlet
louis vuitton outlet
coach factorty outlet online
coach factorty outlet
cheap jordan shoes
coach factory outlet
canada goose jackets
ray ban sunglasses outlet
cheap louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
nfl jerseys
coach outlet online
louis vuitton outlet stores
rolex watches
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin shoes
oakley outlet
cheap jordans
designer handbags
coach factorty outlet
toms outlet
coach outlet store
michael kors outlet online
ray ban sunglasses
nike trainers sale
coach outlet
ghd hair straighteners
coach outlet


Blogger Zheng junxai5 said ... (17/6/16 12:38 am) : 

cheap toms
coach outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
gucci bags
michael kors outlet clearance
nfl jerseys
air jordan homme
true religion outlet online
michael kors purses
hollister clearance
replica rolex watches
louis vuitton handbags
jordan 3 retro
tiffany and co jewelry
kobe shoes
michael kors outlet
michael kors canada outlet
ghd flat iron
air jordan femme
coach outlet online
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton handbags
adidas outlet store
hollister jeans
concord 11
fitflop shoes
tory burch outlet online
tiffany and co
abercrombie outlet
oakley outlet
gucci belts
air jordan shoes
coach outlet
true religion outlet
louboutin shoes
toms wedges
kate spade outlet
louis vuitton outlet


post a comment