Thursday, February 09, 2006

No Pan Troglodyte Business Here

Geoff Trainor

After I did the "Automatic" theme post, Casey I started talking. We thought it would be a good idea to have more themed lists. He insisted on one amendment to how I did it before. There seems to be nothing more asthetically pleasing to Casey than numbered lists. I will be ranking my lists from now on . . . not that the numbers will really be all that accurate.

This week all my songs have monkey in the title. I started off with Foo Fighter's Monkey Wrench, and then used this fancy internet thing to find more. There is a little more for the indie kids out there this time out. Although I may get in trouble for putting Sufjan in second to last place.

20) Hide - Space Monkey Punks From Japan (MP3)
This song really does little for me. The main reason it was chosen for the list, was because of it's name. It could be the best named song on the list. It is definately worth checking out at least once. Their website seems to be in Japanese, but the song is clearly English.

19) Sufjan Stevens - Year of the Monkey (MP3)
I may have to hide under my desk after I say this but . . . I don't get it, sounds like noise. I usually love Sufjan, I really do. Perhaps Enjoy Your Rabbit is an album you have to hear in its entirety, or perhaps I'm not enough of an indie kid to really get into this song.

18) Devendra Banhart - Little Monkey (MP3)
I'm not a huge fan of this song, but I thought that a lot of you might enjoy it. I could definately picture this as an OC song. Yeah, I watch OC, what's it to ya?

17) Smif N' Wessun & Sean Price - Monkey Barz (MP3)
I'm not a huge rap fan, but I do enjoy this song. Perhaps I'm a little bit biased though, I mean, how could you not enjoy a song that name drops Chewbacca. This is the rap second entry to be called Monkey Bars, except this one is way more ghetto with the s turned into a z.

16) Sage Francis - Dance Monkey (MP3)
This song makes me smile. You really have to pay attention to the lyrics. It's not fair really, this is the last song I listened to for this post, so my commentary is starting to run thin. This song does make me want to do doo do do do.


I Think They Took The Song Too Literally

15) How Water Music - My Little Monkey Wrench (MP3)
Well, we all know which is the real Monkey Wrench song. Still, good to have an Epitaph representative on this post, not that it compares with the last post's representative(s). I like HWM, but there are many more Epitaph artists I would prefer to listen to. I don't think I would ever buy one of their CDs, unless it was pretty cheap. Regardless, it is a good song.

14) Lou Barlow - Monkey Begun (MP3)
This song was originally cut from the list, but Casey insisted that I re-instate it. Now that I've listened to it a few more times, I'm not even sure why I cut it. I definately like it more than a few of the songs on this list as should be apparent by the fact that is not in last place.

13) The Dandy Warhols - Welcome To The Monkey House (MP3)
You know, this band bewilders me. Some of their music is great, and some is well, god awful. Luckily this song falls into the former, most for it's lyrical value. Not their best song, but it is a long way from being their worst.

12) The Kills - Monkey 23 (MP3)
Wait a sec? Didn't we just hear about this song? Didn't you already offer us MP3 blog surfers this song last week? True, Casey's Mocking The Married did include this song as a download. Which means one more reason for me to include it. You know, me being lazy and all. Besides, this song has some great haunting vocals.

11) Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven (MP3)
What? Pixies not in top ten? That's blasphemy! While I like the Pixies, I was getting sick of hearing about the damn monkey. I get the idea, he's gone to heaven. I wonder, would a monkey going to heaven bother Stephen Harper? I suppose as long as he's a heterosexual monkey.


I Guess Monkeys Really Do Go To Heaven

10) Cracker - Guarded by Monkeys (MP3)
Cracker is always enjoyable. This some features probably the second best solo on the list (being toppped by Foo Fighters of course). I like the idea of important people being guarded by monkeys. When I get rich, I will get me a monkey body guard - and that is why I will never be rich.

9) Jurassic 5 - Monkey Bars (MP3)
I've always liked Jurassic 5. They've always reminded me of a Beastie Boys sounding group. Too bad The Beasties themselves made the list, because this song would have been higher. Still, better than the other Monkey Barz . . . even minus Chewbacca.

8) Low - Monkey (MP3)
This song has some great hamonization. Like I said in the last post (or did I?), I'm a sucker for female singers. I think if I did this list again in a month or so, this song would move up a few spots. I think it may be the one that stays in my head the longest, very catchy. Not to spoil anything but tonight the monkey dies.

7) The Mountain Goats - The Monkey Song (MP3)
It's been a while since I listened to The Mountain Goats. This song has a sound similar to that of Joel Plaskett's acoustic sets. While I've never heard the song before, it brings me back to that hill at Shoreline festival last summer, watching Joel Plaskett and being devoured by misquitos.

6) Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Spider Monkey (MP3)
Only takes one word to describe this; haunting. It almost sends chills down my spine listening to it. No, that's a good thing, really. This song grows on you each time you listen. In fact it has moved up a couple of spots in the time it took me to type this little piece of commentary. Some interesting notes about this track; according to this page, the scientific name of the spider monkey is Ateles geoffroyi and only the gibbons exceed the spider monkey in agility in trees.


The Cast Of Super Monkey Ball Approve Of the Above Track

5) Traveling Wilburys - Tweeter & The Monkey Man (MP3)
I think I must be a sucker for naratives too. This song is likely my favourite Traveling Wilburys song. Mind you, I don't know a whole lot about them, but I seem to recall hearing that the members have solo careers too. Obviously those careers haven't gone far. Bob Dylan? Never heard of him.

4) The Automatics - Noise Monkey (MP3)
What a great segue from the original post. This is an epic song, spanning just under 9 minutes. I've never heard of the Automatics, but I wish I had before their split in 2001. When I first loaded it up, I thought it was going to be some generic sounding power pop song, until the vocals started up. I really love the voice. It's somewhere in between Beck and Eels . . . or maybe I'm just tired.

3) Gorillaz - Fire Coming Out Of A Monkey's Head (MP3)
Ahh, the Gorillaz. They've got sort of a home court advantage on this one, being named after a monkey species. I think this is the first song I've heard off this album. No wait, one of the songs is on an iPod commericial, isn't it? Maybe I'm making that up. Great monkey narative.

2) Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey (MP3)
While it is Casey is the one that is fighting for people's right to party, I still enjoy Beastie Boys a lot too. This song is not my favourite from the group, but it does come from what may be their best release. Unfortunately, it is kind of overshadowed by some of the other songs on the album.

1) Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench (MP3)
I have been a fan of Foo Fighters since, well, since their sophomore release, The Colour And The Shape, which this song comes from. You see, that CD was actually the first CD I personally owned. I aquired it by cheating in a contest, and I'd do it again! (Actually, I did, in the very same contest the following year).

There is no clear winner this time as to which genre is up to the most monkey business, but there does seem to be a strong rap presence. Keep in mind, the ranking sort of loses importance after 12 or so, so don't get too upset if your favourite artist *cough*Sufjan*cough* was high up. I think I might take a break now and play some Super Monkey Ball.

Download:
Hide - Space Monkey Punks From Japan
Sufjan Stevens - Year of the Monkey
Devandra Banhart - Little Monkey
Smif N' Wessun & Sean Price - Monkey Barz
Sage Francis - Dance Monkey
Hot Water Music - My Little Monkey Wrench
Lou Barlow - Monkey Begun
The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House
The Kills - Monkey 23
Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven
Cracker - Guarded By Monkeys
Jurassic 5 - Monkey Bars
Low - Monkey
The Mountain Goats - The Monkey Song
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Spider Monkey
Traveling Wilburys - Tweeter & The Monkey Man
The Automatics - Noise Monkey
Gorillaz - Fire Coming Out Of A Monkey's Head
Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench

Buy:
Foo Fighters - The Colour & the Shape
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Sufjan Stevens - Enjoy Your Rabbit
Traveling Wilburys - Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season

Related:
Everything Is Automatic

Comments on "No Pan Troglodyte Business Here"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/2/06 6:03 am) : 

you forgot the mitchell froom/ sheryl crow gem "monkey mind". I don't know if it really deserves a place on any list, but it is definitely "unique".....

 

Anonymous moe said ... (9/2/06 11:27 am) : 

i was going to write something witty about 12 monkeys. but i can't think of anything.

 

Blogger Styeiles said ... (9/2/06 11:57 am) : 

hey guys I`m really loving the Theme Music posts....they are very entertaining..you should do one on Love for Valentines day

 

Blogger Casey Dorrell said ... (9/2/06 12:17 pm) : 

Does that mean you clicked on the 12 in the list, moe?

, , , I think it'd be way to hard to find songs about love though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/2/06 1:57 pm) : 

If they ever did a themed list on "love" for Valentine's day that would include like 99% of popular music.

Unless, of course, you mean songs that have "love" in the title. Even then, there would be A LOT of crap to wade through.

Maybe doing a list with songs that have "heart" in their titles would be a little less excruciating. That would also allow the inclusion of Wolf Parade in the list. And as Martha Stewart would say: "That's a good thing."

 

Blogger Geoff Trainor said ... (9/2/06 1:59 pm) : 

Unfortunately next week's theme list is nearing completion, and it has nothing to do with Valentine's day.

 

Blogger Calum Marsh said ... (9/2/06 3:19 pm) : 

I'll take this challenge.

 

Blogger Casey Dorrell said ... (9/2/06 3:46 pm) : 

Is no one else fascinated by the geoff and gibbons monkeys?

 

Blogger Dylan Gaughan said ... (9/2/06 9:29 pm) : 

What, no "Everybody's Got Something To Hide ('Cept for Me and My Monkey)" by the Beatles?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/2/06 11:19 pm) : 

Where's Shock the Monkey?

 

Blogger Ekko said ... (10/2/06 9:39 pm) : 

Yeah! No love for Peter Gabriel?? And can't forget Eminem's Monkey See Monkey Do!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/2/06 12:10 pm) : 

The title belt for best monkey song ever written comes down to a face off between two songs on a generally juvenile and frequently offensive album with a running monkey theme. The album is James "Superstar" Kolchaka's 'Monkey vs. Robot' and it somehow manages to be great despite the problems mentioned above. The title song is strong but the song 'Hockey Monkey' wins by k.o. late in the 12th round. There are other monkey tracks on the undercard, such as 'Hot Rod Monkey.'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/2/06 2:15 pm) : 

The Rolling Stones' "Monkey Man" is the best parody of the Rolling Stones that enybody ever did.

 

Anonymous moe said ... (13/2/06 12:24 pm) : 

casey, yes indeed i did click on the "12", and i also just clicked on it again just to remind myself that i did infact click on it the first time. the fact that it was cleverly snuck in pleased me.

ps. through sheer coincidence i am listening to shock the monkey RIGHT NOW!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 5:12 am) : 

sometimes you can go to earn the mabinogi gold for your own life and you can also get a lot of happiness in the game if you play the game well. you can brush the cheap mabinogi to upgrade and then you are very strong. You think that you want to play the game well and then you can get the mabinogi money for your own. you can go to buy mabinogi gold alone and you can give some for your friends; it can make you very happy I think. As long as you play the game you can get the mabinogi online gold as the rewards in this game.

 

post a comment