Friday, February 03, 2006

Listless Intellectual

Calum Marsh

I felt an immense urge when I awoke this morning to compile some kind of music list (as is the case almost every day), but Casey really beat me to the punch with that terrific marriage article, so I'll work against my inclinations and hold off on the listing for today. Surely I can write something that isn't in numerical order, right? Right?

But seriously, there are some interesting things I'd like to touch upon, so here are several news-ish type points that you might enjoy (this isn't a list, I swear - no numbers!).
Severely underrated New Yorkers The National have a new music video streaming on their website for 'Sons & Daughters Of Soho Riots', and it's definately worth a look. It isn't my favourite track on Alligator (the excellent closer 'Mr.November' is without a doubt the album's ultimate song), but I really love the atmosphere and mood of the video. They've also just released 'Secret Meeting' as a single, which seems a slightly odd choice considering how much better other tracks on the album are (I'd be inclinded to call Secret Meeting and Soho Riots the only less-than-stellar songs on the whole disc), but it's their call so whatever. Apparently it has some remixes as b-sides, so I'll look into posting them at a later date.

Rumor has it that Daft Punk is performing at James Murphy's personal residence soon, where he promises to show kids "the ropes". But seriously, DFA Records has announced the upcoming release of two Remix Collections, which I'm very much excited about. The first volume of the collection is being released as a special 4-song double vinyl (which, as preposterously expensive as it will be, I know I'll end up buying), and as a plain-old CD, which features 4 tracks more than the vinyl edition - wait, what? I guess I'll just give all of my money to James Murphy now and get it over with. DFA has also promised a number of new albums from a few of its notoriously good artists, including a highly anticipated second LP from LCD Soundsystem.

The Streets' frontman Mike Skinner, who has recently announced that his latest opus is in the process of being completed, posted to his MySpace blog this afternoon announcing a new Streets Text Messaging service. By singing up for the program via the band's website, dedicated brit-rap fans can get the freshest Streets-related news delivered straight to their mobile phone in a convienient text message format. Uh, awesome?
One of my favourite tortured artists, Casiotone For The Painfully Alone, has finally got a website up and running that isn't preceded with "". If you're unfamiliar, Casiotone is a Film Student (like all the coolest people) who makes music with (pretty much) only a Casio keyboard. It isn't as gimmicky as you might imagine, though, and more often than not the music is really terrific. Currently, he only has a couple of albums, all of which are really difficult to find, but many people know him from his tours with The Rapture, Xiu Xiu, Frog Eyes, and This Song Is A Mess But So Am I. He's got a new album in the works that apparently features more than just a keyboard (gasp!), so I'll keep everyone posted on that.

Bonnaroo, another incredibly amazing States-only indie festival, has just announced this year's list of bands who will be performing, including Death Cab, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, My Morning Jacket, Cat Power, Andrew Bird, Dungen, Stephen Malkmus, Bright Eyes, and this obscure little group known only as "Radiohead", or something. And I thought missing SXSW was bad...

And that about wraps it up for Indie news that I've deemed worthy of writing about. Tune in next week when I find out about more festivals that I can't go to. Hurrah.

The National - Mr. November
The National - Sons & Daughters Of Soho Riots
Casiotone For The Painfully Alone - Roberta C.
Casiotone For The Painfully Alone - Jeane, If You're Ever In Portland...
Casiotone For The Painfully Alone - To My Mr. Smith
Bright Eyes - Contrast & Compare (Her Space Holiday Remix)
Bright Eyes - Drunk Kid Catholic
Death Cab For Cutie - The Saddest Story Ever Told (Magnetic Fields Cover - Live)
Death Cab For Cutie - I Was A Kaleidoscope (Live)
Death Cab For Cutie - For What Reason? (Alternate)

The National - Alligator
Casiotone For The Painfully Alone - The First Two Albums Collection
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Death Cab For Cutie - Something About Airplanes
The Streets - Original Pirate Material

Comments on "Listless Intellectual"


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/2/06 1:38 pm) : 



Blogger Calum Marsh said ... (3/2/06 3:18 pm) : 

That's what I was hinting at, yeah.


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/2/06 9:38 pm) : 

um, try looking up the word "penultimate" and you'll find that your post here left the careful/educated reader confused. I must say that you have better spelling than do most bloggers, though.


Blogger Casey Dorrell said ... (7/2/06 12:53 am) : 

Maybe there's a hidden track, and the clever reference was simply over thy head.

Hey, it's possible!


Blogger kalliope said ... (8/2/06 12:41 pm) : 

regarding the question why a band shouldnt pick the best songs of their albums to release them as singles: that way the singles remain teasers for the album. otherwise if all really good songs were released on singles noone would buy the album...
Badly explained but that is only because of my crap English (sometimes is do have quite some problems with it).

So, looking at it that way, James Blunt for example also did it the right way when he released "You're Beautiful" (at least in Germany) first, then "High"... i heard in the UK he released "Wisemen". That pretty much covered the less good songs of the Album, whereas Billy, So Long Jimmy etc hopefully remain unreleased as singles so people will be still forced to buy the album. Which i did.


Blogger Calum Marsh said ... (9/2/06 2:50 am) : 

Oh god, why are we talking about James Blunt?


Blogger Calum Marsh said ... (9/2/06 2:53 am) : 

Also, my mistake with the penultimate usage. It has been changed accordingly.


Blogger Casey Dorrell said ... (9/2/06 4:18 am) : 

I've always been under the impression that I dislike Blunt, but I've honestly never heard him (yes, I know I have a song of his for download . . . but audioless main computer)


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 5:47 am) : 

sometimes you can go to earn the Pirates of the Burning Sea Gold for your own life and you can also get a lot of happiness in the game if you play the game well. you can brush the potbs gold to upgrade and then you are very strong. You think that you want to play the game well and then you can get the potbs Doubloon for your own. you can earn the potbs money alone and you can give some for your friends; it can make you very happy I think. As long as you play the game you can go to buy potbs Doubloon as the rewards in this game.


post a comment