Monday, May 01, 2006

New Canadian Copyright Laws?

Jonathan Migneault

In Canada, unlike most Western nations, it is legal to download and share copyrighted material. The Canadian government is currently working to amend the country's antiquated copyright laws while two groups fight to define them. In one corner we have the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA), Canada's equivalent to the United States' RIAA. Not surprisingly, the CRIA wants to implement U.S.-style lawsuits against downloaders and copy-protection onto its albums.

In the other corner we have the Canadian Music Creators Coalition. The group, which includes the Barenaked Ladies, Broken Social Scene, Blue Rodeo, Avril Lavigne, Sum 41, Randy Bachman, Sarah McLachlan, and several other influential musicians, wants Canada’s new copyright laws to be more, well ugh, humane. Meaning specifically, pursuing avenues other than suing fans, as well as not resorting to copyright controlled albums.

This blog and many others have a lot at stake in the outcome of any upcoming debates on the issue. It's no secret that we often share copyrighted material. I think it's safe to say that in the majority of cases we post songs that are either already freely available by legal means or are from indie artists who encourage the exposure we give them by sharing a few songs. To my knowledge, only two bloggers in the U.S. or Europe has ever been sued for posting copyrighted material (See Ryan Adams Debacle). Nevertheless, the possibility of more such outcomes always exists.

The Internet is a great medium for debate (and infringing copyrights). That's what I would like to see in the comment section below. Do you agree with the CRIA's plans for punitive measures against downloaders or do you side with the artists coalition’s rejection of such measures? I suspect our readership will be biassed towards the latter argument but I still believe a debate on the issue would be a worthwhile endeavour.

Personally, I’ve tried hard to look at both sides of the issue and can wholeheartedly say that I support the artists on this one (surprised?).

For more information on the current copyright battle hit up the CBC’s website. Most of my information was taken from an article on the site.

Download:
Broken Social Scene - Deathcock
Ryan Adams - To Be Young

Buy:
Broken Social Scene - Ibi Dreams of Pavement

Related:
Ryan Adams is on the Prowl

Comments on "New Canadian Copyright Laws?"

 

Blogger Casey Dorrell said ... (2/5/06 2:29 am) : 

I'm not sure if we'll get any debate here, as I think everyone will agree.

Kinda like asking a group of marine biologists whether they like dolphins.

Regardless, interesting article. I guess we knew the safety of Canadian pirating had to come to an end.

 

Anonymous rgsc said ... (2/5/06 11:31 am) : 

Bah. I had a rather long comment which seems to have disappeared - i would like to blame blogger but i am sure it is due to me closing the window or something because it is just that kind of morning.

Anyway, basically I wanted to say I agree with and applaud the CMCC and that it is hard to believe that the CRIA is working for the best interests of the artists when the artists themselves are forming their own group. The CRIA conducted a study which indicated that 75% of people who download buy music - a statistic which, i think, goes a long way to undermine their draconian stance.

John Lennon perhaps best summed it up: "Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it."
rod

 

Blogger Jonathan Migneault said ... (2/5/06 1:05 pm) : 

It will be interesting to see how this debate pans out. If I was a betting man I would have to say that the Conservatives will likely follow the American model.

I mean the CRIA has Alanis Morissette on their side. I suppose those 30 million copies of Jagged Little Pill just aren't enough to pay the bills these days.

Lets hope artists like Alanis will never have to starve due to downloading.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 4:42 am) : 

Later my friends told me that if I want to play the game better I should go to earn the Perfect World Gold, so I was very quickly risen to thirty levels, and then I started to play the game alone.I go to Buy Perfect World Gold to treat myself in this game. However she was also very sad when I was hurt, she was sorry about this to me and I did not complain her at last. I was very happy and we went to earn the Perfect World Silver to equip us to become strong. Today I play the game again and I can get a lot of Perfect World money for her, I take her to upgrade and then add her experience. I have a lot of cheap Perfect World Gold and I want to give her in the game, i can have a lot of pw gold if my skills of playing the game well.

 

Blogger products said ... (9/8/09 11:51 pm) : 

China Wholesale has been described as the world’s factory. This phenomenom is typified by the rise ofbusiness. Incredible range of products available with China Wholesalers “Low Price and High Quality” not only reaches directly to their target clients worldwide but also ensures that wholesale from china from China means margins you cannot find elsewhere and buy products wholesaleChina Wholesale will skyroket your profits.wedding dressescheap naruto cosplayanime cosplay

 

Blogger products said ... (9/8/09 11:51 pm) : 

Women’s nike tn Shox Rivalry est le modèle féminin le plus tendance de baskets pour le sport. tn chaussuresConcernant la semelle :Cheap Brand Jeans Shop - True Religion Jeans nike shoes & Puma Shoes Online- tn nike,Diesel Jeans le caoutchouc extérieur, l’EVA intermédiaire Levis Jeanset le textile intérieur s’associent pour attribuer à la.ed hardy shirts pretty fitCharlestoncheap columbia jackets. turned a pair of double plays to do the trick.Lacoste Polo Shirts, puma basket, Burberry Polo Shirts.wholesale Lacoste polo shirts and cheap polo shirtswith great price.Thank you so much!!cheap polo shirts men'ssweate,gillette mach3 razor bladesfor men.As for Cheap Evisu JeansCheap Armani Jeans

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (26/6/10 10:22 pm) : 

In the centre of the first picture the overuse of bright scarlet red in the scarpe Hogan
is linked with the Hogan uomo
Interactive in silver snake-print. Hogan scarpe uomo
cater the needs of every fashion. Hogan scarpe donna
did their very best on product innovation including some new wacky designs.

 

post a comment