Monday, January 16, 2006

Week End Blog Wrap Up #2

Casey Dorrell

A bit late once again. Maybe my writing style is beginning to reflect my personal style. There's little, if anything, I haven't been late for. I think this week's blog review might be a relief to some of our readers. There's all kinds of indie, because I know the Green Day, Beastie Boys focus probably frightened some you. Don't be afraid to embrace the mainstream.



1. Matthew (Fluxblog) talked about a recent concert experience with Stephen Malkmus playing all acoustic, which only confirms that I live in the wrong part of the world. He also has a live Pavement track up (c. 1999). [Link]

2. Sean (3hive) introduces 'The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir,' one of my own favourite bands of 2005. What I didn't know was that the band has already split up, although a disfigured version of the band carries on. I strongly suggest you check this band out, their best days may already be behind them. [Link]

3. Lobstar (Copy, Right?) found yet another cool cover song (via Google Video). This time it's Final Fantasy doing a cover of Bloc Party's 'This Modern Love'. Like anything that sounds that amazing, it's not, but it's still worth checking out. At the very least, it's further evidence that the fact that the words google and great make a mean alliteration is no coincidence. [Link]

4. Moka (Motel de Moka) wrapped up a busy week for the Moka blog with an interview with the guitarist from the new(ish) band, The Attorneys. It turns out he likes 'Ok Computer' just like everybody else. [Link]

5. Matt (You Ain't No Picasso) who has one of the best named blogs out there, posted a new Shins track. They've been playing it live recently and if the rest of their next album sounds like this, it'll be a relief. Of course, it's nothing terribly different for the band, but sometimes that's not a bad thing. [Link]

6. Michael (Dreams of Horses) continues his fascination with Horse titled bands. Or maybe I just fabricated that obsession by only referencing the posts he makes about horse-related bands. If I did the same thing with wolf-related bands, it'd look like the entire mp3 blogosphere was obsessed with wolves. Anyhow, check out his post on The Band of Horses. [Link]

7. Unknown (Big O) posted a rare Ryan Adams release. The album was recorded just before his debut, but was ultimately scrapped and never officially released. I'm not really a fan, but I bet this would be exciting if I were. [Link]

8. Michael (For the Records), who also has a really clever blog name, has a calendar recommendation. No, really. I'm seriously going to go to Indigo tomorrow and see if it's there. [Link]

9. uwmryan (Muzzle of Bees) introduces the band 'I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness'. The band's got two big things in its favour. First, it might be a bit long, but band names don't get much better. Second, their first EP was produced by Britt Daniel (of Spoon). [Link]

10. Travis (This Big Stereo) has a interesting post about the band Test Icicles. We got an e-mail from their label telling us something about them. As I sometimes do, I didn't give the e-mail much attention. All I remember was that it addressed us as Punky Brewsters. Anyhow, Travis was less lazy and posted some band info. He did the same in October. Go listen, hate, love, the reaction to this band is mixed but rarely ambivalent. [Link]

11. Connor (I Guess I'm Floating) has some tracks from the upcoming Richard Ashcroft album. I'm not an Ashcroft fan, beyond the obvious Verve album, but I am a big fan of bizarre photoshop edits. To think that it had never occurred to me that Ashcroft's nose makes a good bird perch! Shame, Casey, Shame. [Link]

Download:
Scotland Yard Gospel Choir - Ellen's Telling Me What I Want To Hear
The Attorneys - Lonely Guy
The Band of Horses - Wicked Gil
The Band of Horses - Funeral
I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - When You Go Out
Test Icicles - All You Need is Blood
Test Icicles - Circle Square Triangle

Related:
Week End Blog Wrap Up #1

Comments on "Week End Blog Wrap Up #2"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (16/1/06 1:10 pm) : 

Ryan Adams, score!

 

Anonymous mike said ... (16/1/06 8:13 pm) : 

Thanks for the linkage! Today's the first day I have that page-a-day music calendar at work, so it'll be cool to discover some musical gem every day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 5:36 am) : 

Later my friends told me that if I want to play the game better I should go to earn the Perfect World Gold, so I was very quickly risen to thirty levels, and then I started to play the game alone.I go to Buy Perfect World Gold to treat myself in this game. However she was also very sad when I was hurt, she was sorry about this to me and I did not complain her at last. I was very happy and we went to earn the Perfect World Silver to equip us to become strong. Today I play the game again and I can get a lot of Perfect World money for her, I take her to upgrade and then add her experience. I have a lot of cheap Perfect World Gold and I want to give her in the game, i can have a lot of pw gold if my skills of playing the game well.

 

post a comment