Thursday, March 16, 2006

Don't Leave Home Without a Sunset Rubdown

Jonathan Migneault

Calum's recent post about Absolutely Kosher Records inspired me to write up a little something about one of that label's newest additions: Sunset Rubdown.

The band is the side project of Wolf Parade's co-front man Spencer Krug. They released an LP, Snake's Got a Leg, last year and a self-titled EP earlier this year. Both albums came out under the banner of a small label called Global Symphonic. Sunset Rubdown's upcoming album, Shut Up I am Dreaming, will hit stores on May 2nd, this time on Absolutely Kosher.

You're probably thinking, "That’s all well and good but what the hell do these guys actually sound like?" Good question - Sunset Rubdown is to Wolf Parade as the Bell Orchestre is to the Arcade Fire. In other words, they are an interesting side project that's far less accessible than the original band. The one obvious thing Sunset Rubdown and Wolf Parade have in common is Krug's voice. Here, though, not having a co-vocatlist in the band means Krug lends his distinctive voice to all the songs, save for the occasional instrumental track.

The production quality here is not nearly as polished as that found in Wolf Parade's Apologies to Queen Mary. Yet, because of this, Sunset Rubdown's music has an energetic raw feel, sometimes absent in Wolf Parade, that is likely to grow on a listener through repeat listens. Perhaps the best point of comparison is Sunset Rubdown's early version of the Wolf Parade song, "I'll Believe in Anything" (found on Snake's Got a Leg). This version relies much more heavily on the guitar than Wolf Parade’s more 'refined' song. It may sound a little harsh on first listen, but it does offer a certain distinctive appeal. Think Lou Barlow's lo-fi recordings of the early 90's.

All in all, Sunset Rubdown makes great music for those quiet times in the day; those times when you just want to lie on your bedroom floor and let the music's atmosphere take you away. Or maybe that's just me . . .

Sunset Rubdown - Three Colours
Sunset Rubdown - A Day in the Graveyeard II
Sunset Rubdown - I'll Believe in Anything, You'll Believe in Anything

Sunset Rubdown - Snake's Got a Leg
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Oi Vey! Absolutely Kosher Records

Comments on "Don't Leave Home Without a Sunset Rubdown"


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (16/3/06 6:41 am) : 

I demand to know what the hell is going on in that picture


Blogger Jonathan Migneault said ... (16/3/06 3:12 pm) : 

You'd have to ask Spencer Krug about that one. I'm as oblivious as you are.


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (27/3/06 11:23 pm) : 

I'd say its the ogopogo


Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 5:22 am) : 

I knew the Metin2 gold so I always try my best to earn them more and more to make myself strong. I have never played the game before, at the beginning I did not know what is so I went to kill the monsters with the Metin2 yang that I earned with myself in the game. I will duty bound to a friend to help brush the Cheap metin2 yang together with my friends. I spend a good relationship is then fly to tears. If my levels are very high, I can go to Buy metin2 gold more and more and I will not depend on my friends to help me to earn them. I get some Cheap metin2 gold as the gifts to encourage me.


Blogger Zheng junxai5 said ... (17/6/16 12:50 am) : 

toms shoes outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
celine outlet
louis vuitton purses
air jordan 4
michael kors outlet online
longchamp outlet
coach outlet
nike sb dunks
jordan 11
louis vuitton
true religion outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
nike free uk
cheap ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton purses
coach outlet
coach outlet
tory burch boots
north face jackets
michael kors outlet
abercrombie and fitch
polo ralph lauren
nike roshe one
michael kors outlet clearance
jordan retro 11
coach outlet
jordan 3s
toms wedges
ralph lauren home
louis vuitton outlet
kate spade handbags
coach factory outlet online
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
air max
supra footwear
coach outlet


post a comment