Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Westfest: Ottawa's Little Secret

Jonathan Migneault

Summer Festivals
I got one one hand for dancin' and one hand for fightin'

The months of May through August are a euphoric time for music fans. It is a period when many of us check our calendars with glee as our favourite bands play the festival circuit.

Here in Ottawa, there are two huge music festivals that draw a lot of big acts, crowds and media attention. They are, of course, the Tulip Festival (actually not as lame as it sounds) and the Cisco Systems Bluesfest. Unfortunately, these two 800-pound gorillas tend to knock other noteworthy festivities to the wayside. Great events like the CKCU Ottawa Folk Festival and Ladyfest Ottawa get lost in the hoopla that surrounds their big brothers.

Another such event, that goes unrecognized to an almost criminal extent, is Westfest. The annual festival that will now enter its third year has showcased some of Canada's very best and brightest in the fields of music, literature, visual arts, performance art and dance.

This year may prove to be Westfest's best showcase yet. Highly-acclaimed Canadian author Ann-Marie MacDonald will make an appearance. Mocking Music favourites Emm Gryner and Elliot Brood will also entertain those lucky enough to attend the event. As a grassroots festival, Westfest also tries to give local talent a stage (literally) and an audience. Among those local artists will be two of Ottawa's best indie bands: the Hilotrons and The Acorn.

If you are not yet convinced that you should attend Wesfest keep this in mind: Westfest is FREE. That's right, you can see all these amazing artists for less than the price of well, uhh, anything!

If you happen to be in Ottawa on June 10-11 there are few good reasons to miss out on what will surely be a memorable experience.

Whoever (Bing Cosby, June Allyson, The Ink Spots, Jo Stafford, etc.) said that the best things in life are free was right.

Download:
Emm Gryner - Waiting Room (Live)
Emm Gryner - Acid (Live)
Elliott Brood - Second Son
Hilotrons - Astromen
Hilotrons - Science Fiction Music
The Acorn - Blankets
The Acorn - Plates and Saucers

Buy:
Emm Gryner - Songs of Love and Death
Elliott Brood - Ambassador
Hilotrons - Bella Simone
The Acorn - Blankets

Comments on "Westfest: Ottawa's Little Secret"

 

Blogger Calum Marsh said ... (18/5/06 1:08 am) : 

Just so you, we're not actually an Ottawa-only blog. I think.

We might be a PEI blog. I dunno. We can write about...Sloan.

 

Blogger Jonathan Migneault said ... (18/5/06 2:28 am) : 

Sloan is from Nova Scotia. I wonder if Maritimers take offense when us central Canadians confuse their respective provinces?

Eastern alienation, anyone?

 

Blogger Casey Dorrell said ... (18/5/06 2:44 am) : 

Don't worry, I'll have a post ALL about PEI within the week, kids.

 

Blogger Geoff Trainor said ... (18/5/06 3:26 am) : 

Kinda like that time in Quebec City when the French guy was trying tell Casey and I that PEI was part of Nova Scotia.

 

Blogger mel said ... (18/5/06 4:28 am) : 

Damn, I'll have to try harder to get into to the Joel Plaskett/THT show next weekend just so we can blend both worlds.

 

Blogger mfd said ... (18/5/06 12:13 pm) : 

Suggested photo caption: I got one one hand for dancin' and one hand for fightin'.

 

Blogger Lucky said ... (18/5/06 1:13 pm) : 

Worst. Version. of. Waiting Room. Ever.

 

Anonymous Cousy said ... (18/5/06 5:38 pm) : 

I live in Ottawa and I had never heard of WestFest until now.

That's pretty cool, thanks for the headsup and keep up the awesome blogging.

Definitely one of my favourite music blogs at the moment.

Rock.

 

Anonymous Casey said ... (18/5/06 9:37 pm) : 

When I added the picture, I didn't notice that at all. His smile is now a lot less pleasant.

 

Blogger Jonathan Migneault said ... (18/5/06 11:51 pm) : 

I'm glad my post was able to give at least one person the heads up about this great festival.

Thanks for the kind words Cousy.

 

Blogger Casey Dorrell said ... (19/5/06 1:47 am) : 

Casey and Cousy, side by side at last.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 4:48 am) : 

Later my friends told me that if I want to play the game better I should go to earn the Perfect World Gold, so I was very quickly risen to thirty levels, and then I started to play the game alone.I go to Buy Perfect World Gold to treat myself in this game. However she was also very sad when I was hurt, she was sorry about this to me and I did not complain her at last. I was very happy and we went to earn the Perfect World Silver to equip us to become strong. Today I play the game again and I can get a lot of Perfect World money for her, I take her to upgrade and then add her experience. I have a lot of cheap Perfect World Gold and I want to give her in the game, i can have a lot of pw gold if my skills of playing the game well.

 

post a comment