Sunday, May 14, 2006

My Mom is Cooler Than Your Mom

Casey Dorrell

Mom and Eels

Last week was my mother's birthday. She was showered by gifts by her adoring children. Gifts would continue to arrive every day of the week through to today, Mother's Day. A veritable celebration of life itself but, more importantly, of the life that gave life to us. It was the least we could do.

No, that's not quite true. The least we could do would have been nothing. To forget her birthday all together. Which is exactly what we did. All three of us. Calendar-reading disabilities and day-late rememberings aside, we all forgot. It's not that we have anything against her. It's just that she's always been around, and sometimes it's easy to to take people for granted. Besides, I mean, as our mother, she's partly responsible for all our behaviour, right? Maybe not. Regardless, this isn't meant as a trite confessional or a lecture on the merits of thankless motherhood and value of those whose presence is a foregone conclusion. We know all that.

What you might not know is that my mom is cooler than your mom.

Sure, your mom cooks. So does mine. Mine probably does it better but we can't say for sure, so we'll have to call a tie. She also, just like your mother, goes out of her way to do really nice things for her children all the time. My mom's easy to talk to. A lot of you can say the same. Most of the time, all of this goes unthanked. Everyone should have countless anecdotes about the great things their mother has done for them. Who cares? Yes, your mother is great - make sure you take the time to tell her once in a while, at least once a year, but don't bore the rest of us with generic heart-warming tales of your uncool mommy.

And while you sing your mother's praises, remember that my mom is cooler than yours. Aside from the above mentioned qualities, my mom also has a dark sense of humour, is elitist, smug, and probably a bit of a self-deprecating narcissist. All of which go toward a healthy cool quotient. Still, the only proper indicator of one's coolness (aside from how many broken iPod's one has amassed) is the music that one enjoys. I think we can all agree on that.

Yes, my mom likes the Beatles and had, at one point, all their records on vinyl. No, she doesn't own "Number 1s". But my mom also has CD's of the Eels, Bright Eyes, Emm Gryner, Radiohead, Low, and Sufjan Stevens. She likes Great Lake Swimmers more than I do. She knew Elliot Brood's name before I'd ever heard of him.

What's that? Your mom likes Coldplay? That's cool too . . .

Download:
Elliot Smith - Wouldn't Mama Be Proud
Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, and Wives
The Elected - C'mon Mom
Beluah - Your Mother Loves You
Page France - Mother
A Thousand Times Yes - Momma Had Her Doubts
Court and Spark - Your Mother was the Lightning
Quasi - Mama Tried
Sufjan Stevens - Decatur or Round of Applause for Your Mother

Buy:
Something nice for your mother.

Comments on "My Mom is Cooler Than Your Mom"

 

Blogger Calum Marsh said ... (14/5/06 6:07 pm) : 

My mom does like Coldplay...Mrs.Dorrell wins.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (14/5/06 11:27 pm) : 

my mother likes chubby checker and can't even name the beatles.

she has a degree in physics, though...

-m

 

Anonymous moe said ... (14/5/06 11:32 pm) : 

yeah your mom definitely wins

although, the other day mom declared she wasn't a fan of nickleback and creed. so that should get her at least a point or two.

 

Anonymous moe said ... (14/5/06 11:37 pm) : 

ps. re: slight song name change, cute.

 

Blogger Geoff Trainor said ... (15/5/06 1:33 am) : 

You can't fool me. That's not your mom holding those CDs. This is all just a big hoax.

 

Blogger princess recluse said ... (15/5/06 1:47 am) : 

Hi guys, great post...wish my mom listened to all that. She thinks BEP and Pussycat Dolls are the pantheon of cool :(

 

Blogger Jonathan Migneault said ... (15/5/06 10:52 pm) : 

I think it's safe to say that "Casey's mom has got it going on."

Sorry I couldn't resist...

 

Anonymous c gates said ... (18/5/06 10:54 pm) : 

Thanks Casey(note the upper case). What about Mother's of Invention,particulary Brown Shoes Don't Make It and Suzy Cream Cheese.
christine Casey's Mom

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 5:51 am) : 

I knew the Metin2 gold so I always try my best to earn them more and more to make myself strong. I have never played the game before, at the beginning I did not know what is so I went to kill the monsters with the Metin2 yang that I earned with myself in the game. I will duty bound to a friend to help brush the Cheap metin2 yang together with my friends. I spend a good relationship is then fly to tears. If my levels are very high, I can go to Buy metin2 gold more and more and I will not depend on my friends to help me to earn them. I get some Cheap metin2 gold as the gifts to encourage me.

 

Blogger products said ... (9/8/09 11:25 pm) : 

China Wholesale has been described as the world’s factory. This phenomenom is typified by the rise ofbusiness. Incredible range of products available with China Wholesalers “Low Price and High Quality” not only reaches directly to their target clients worldwide but also ensures that wholesale from china from China means margins you cannot find elsewhere and buy products wholesaleChina Wholesale will skyroket your profits.wedding dressescheap naruto cosplayanime cosplay

 

Blogger products said ... (9/8/09 11:26 pm) : 

Women’s nike tn Shox Rivalry est le modèle féminin le plus tendance de baskets pour le sport. tn chaussuresConcernant la semelle :Cheap Brand Jeans Shop - True Religion Jeans nike shoes & Puma Shoes Online- tn nike,Diesel Jeans le caoutchouc extérieur, l’EVA intermédiaire Levis Jeanset le textile intérieur s’associent pour attribuer à la.ed hardy shirts pretty fitCharlestoncheap columbia jackets. turned a pair of double plays to do the trick.Lacoste Polo Shirts, puma basket, Burberry Polo Shirts.wholesale Lacoste polo shirts and cheap polo shirtswith great price.Thank you so much!!cheap polo shirts men'ssweate,gillette mach3 razor bladesfor men.As for Cheap Evisu JeansCheap Armani Jeans

 

post a comment