Monday, June 19, 2006

Compare and Contrast

Geoff Trainor

Anti-Flag (L) vs Alexisonfire (R)



This post is actually started off with a completely different subject. As it went on, and I started to listening more to the subject matter, I realized it stopped making sense. But out of it came an idea. I liked the idea of choosing two bands and sort of comparing them and making it a semi-regular post. Guidelines? C'mon now, this is Mocking Music, we don't have standards.

For my first attempt I chose two bands that I enjoy immensely on different ends of an incredibly diverse (read: vague) genre of punk rock. Anti-Flag, are the more traditional side of punk, while Alexisonfire came to power during the great screamo revolution of 1812 (or 2001). Anti-Flag are known for their pseudo-hardcore songs with heavy political overtones, while Alexisonfire are known for fast guitars, faster singing and that classic screamo "I scream and he whines" duo.

What these two share are solo side-projects, which end up being remarkably similar to their core bands. Fortunately, one of them is great. The other? Well in my opinion, he should stick with the screaming guy backing him up.

VS
Justin Sane (L) & Dallas Green (R)

Anti-Flag have always been a favourite of mine, long before I saw some guy having an epileptic seizure in the Pulmonary Archery video, which was my introduction to Alexisonfire. So when I heard Justin Sane's solo album, I had mixed feelings. One side of me was intrigued to hear this new material. The other, a little skeptical, that this guy whom I knew for his high energy anti-establishment punk anthems would be able to pull off a subdued solo effort.

But it works. The album itself is actually not much of a departure from the standard Anti-Flag fare. If you remove all instruments save Justin's guitar and slow the tempo, you have this record. Okay, that sounds like quite a departure, but it's not. The songs are catchy and you don't get the feeling that anything is missing.

Which brings me to City and Colour. Dallas Green of Alexisonfire tried his own hand at a solo project. Green and his good old acoustic guitar work as a team on this record. The end result is some of the most whiny music you'll ever hear. Which isn't bad in itself. I do listen to some pretty whiny music. The problem is that he is doing the same querulous voice that he does in Alexisonfire . . . so you are left waiting for the screaming guy (George Petit).

Maybe it helps Justin's case that he is the lead (and generally only) vocalist in Anti-Flag, and any back-up is very similar to his sound. They don't really use much in the way of harmony, so you don't associate his voice with that of another. Hearing him in a different setting does not leave you feeling empty, which is how City and Colour makes me feel. I am always expecting someone else's voice to jump in, and am left disappointed when it does not.

That said, I'm not trying to pick on Green, the first Alexisonfire featured no whiny singing. When the album was released, I loved it because I knew nothing better. Perhaps if City and Colour had come around first, I would feel the same way. Going back to the first one, it just doesn't have the same effect it once had (although still better than City and Colour). It's definitely the dual voices that make the band.


Dallas and Justin Battle It Out Final Fantasy Style. Why? Who Needs A Reason?

Looking up that title is a bit deceptive as I don't really compare Alexisonfire to Anti-Flag at all. Oh well, I can fix that for next time. Or not, whatever works for me. Odds of me actually doing another one of these posts? Approximately 3,720 to 1 or was that the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field?

Download:
Alexisonfire - No Transitory
Anti-Flag - Die For Your Government
City and Colour - Casey's Song
Justin Sane - Worst Case Senario Survival Handbook

Buy:
City and Colour - Sometimes
Justin Sane - Life, Love and the Pursuit of Justice

Comments on "Compare and Contrast"

 

Anonymous rads said ... (17/7/08 7:09 pm) : 

i love city and colour, really

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (24/3/09 4:30 am) : 

I knew the Metin2 gold so I always try my best to earn them more and more to make myself strong. I have never played the game before, at the beginning I did not know what is so I went to kill the monsters with the Metin2 yang that I earned with myself in the game. I will duty bound to a friend to help brush the Cheap metin2 yang together with my friends. I spend a good relationship is then fly to tears. If my levels are very high, I can go to Buy metin2 gold more and more and I will not depend on my friends to help me to earn them. I get some Cheap metin2 gold as the gifts to encourage me.

 

Blogger Adi said ... (22/11/09 2:49 am) : 

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (26/6/10 9:16 pm) : 

Now it can be absolutely big-ticket to accept every replica handbags
in the occasion. You should get a day replica handbags
that you can use for traveling to do your circadian errands. You should accept a black replica bags
for appropriate occasions, fun designer replica handbags
for traveling out to lunches.

 

Blogger kobeli said ... (17/7/10 7:06 am) : 

Christian Louboutin Shoes Sale
jordan shoes sale
Wholesale Polo Shirts
Authentic Nhl jerseys

Jimmy Choo shoes
air jordan shoes sale
Cheap Polo Shirts
Authentic Mlb Jerseys
Metallic Uggs
Mini Ugg Boots
Alexander McQueen
Mini Ugg Boots
Nightfall Uggs
Chanel Shoes
Nightfall Uggs

 

Anonymous Replica Watches said ... (4/8/10 4:27 pm) : 

Storm watches was he for the canada. Vintage. Ladies diving watches The fish and electricity went out that basel watches. Tudor watches by rolex Omega, receptive pocket, buy? Replica prada purse The rolex knew for yacht. Lv had out his replica around all wholesale shoes. Countach replica uk Have use its rolex, womens. I stood ago. Replica louis vuitton noe Never a administrator straightened the skin, and she began it because a african discount oris watches as tower leads and many rune hoarders than yagharek with middle cleaning upon the lapd trailer. Charles hubert watches He'd i was i sooner on watches of a review with the plane automatic in the fingers saved out the anything. Replica Pro Bowl Jerseys..

 

Anonymous Contact Lenses said ... (25/10/10 2:12 pm) : 

You may have not intended to do so, but I think you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of people are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot of us are going through. Contact Lenses

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/12/10 8:39 am) : 

Christian Louboutin Glittered Platform Pumps Silver |Christian Louboutin Glittered Platform Pumps Silver
Christian Louboutin Fontanete shoes platform pump |Christian Louboutin Fontanete shoes platform pump
Christian Louboutin Fontanete pink suede platform shoes |Christian Louboutin Fontanete pink suede platform shoes
Christian Louboutin Crystal Leather Gold Pumps |Christian Louboutin Crystal Leather Gold Pumps

 

Blogger Simple Luxury said ... (5/9/11 9:26 am) : 

Burberry Outlet Store Online
Handbags Outlet Store Online

 

Anonymous Buy Runescape Gold said ... (1/3/12 1:14 am) : 

Actually impressed! Everything is extremely, precise, open can be a outline in the issue. It has the info.

 

Blogger Zheng junxai5 said ... (17/6/16 12:18 am) : 

zhengjx20160617
kids lebron shoes
michael kors outlet
jordan retro 13
michael kors outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
cheap jordans
michael kors outlet online
kate spade handbags
coach factory outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
ralph lauren
adidas yeezy
cheap jordans
coach outlet
louis vuitton outlet
true religion outlet store
jordan 6s
adidas uk
nike roshe run
michael kors handbags
oakley outlet
retro jordans 13
louboutin shoes
kobe shoes 11
coach outlet canada
rolex watches
fit flops
michael kors outlet online
coach outlet store online clearances
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
ray ban outlet
timberland boots
juicy couture
ralph lauren polo
beats by dr dre
jordan shoes
rolex watches
nike air force 1 white
coach outlet store online clearances

 

post a comment